Old 07-14-11, 03:12 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by sunstorm
I asked the leader of the beginner group 'are there any women who would be able to lead this?' and he assured me there are a lot of really great female riders at this weekly ride, but none of them lead the ride groups. Huh? Now, this guy was really nice, reassuring, worked hard to make beginners feel comfortable, etc, but he is still a guy. If there are competent women, why aren't they leading? Is it lack of interest on the 'better' women's parts? was it that no one had suggested, asked, or offered them the oppurtunity to lead? (the leaders weren't employees of the shop, so that wasn't the limitation.)
This is highly unlikely (if it's anything like my club). I suspect the normal situation for clubs is wanting more rides being offered and more people (regardless of gender) leading them.

Our club has a fair number of women ride leaders. We even have some women only events.

Note that one can be a "great" rider and not be a competent ride leader.

Originally Posted by sunstorm
Penny4 - This all women's group has been meeting every week for 9 years. In 9 years, I'm pretty confident that some of these women have the experience to be leaders. Some of the women had been biking for over 2 decades, and one of the leaders was a man who had only started biking two years ago at the age of 70. I don't dislike the guys...don't get me wrong. It just seems really strange to me, as a woman, that in an all female ride, every leader was a guy, even when there are women there that the leaders say are better than they are. Part of the reason I was aware of it was that the guys were in the LBS's jerseys to lead the ride, they were obviously in charge and making all the decisions, and I showed up to an women's only ride expecting...well...all women. It just, to me, came across as very patriarchial. maybe I'm wrong. And I'm not blaming the guys, just think that perhaps it isn't just promoting biking among the rank and file of the female population...but about promoting leadership among competent female bikers at local, regional, national and international levels.
There could be all sorts of reasonable explanations beyond being "patriarchal".

Leading is an additional skill and interest.

I'd guess that the organizers of this ride would even prefer having women lead it but chose to run the ride even without having any available. It's even possible that, in the 9 year history of the ride, there were women leaders for some of them.

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-14-11 at 04:17 PM.