View Single Post
Old 06-24-05, 01:28 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It'll solve some problems, and create others.

Pros: Will adjust the front derailluer according to what gear you are in the back, electronic wires instead of mechanical cables, no need to adjust cables, simpler brifter mechanics.

Cons: constrained to battery life, expensive/non-repairable (maybe), wires instead of cables, electronic interference. Weight (mainly because of battery), unpredictable performance when wires are frayed or water gets inside casings. its electronic.

When I mean its electronic, I mean the inherent fagileness of electronics. Static sensitivity, moisture, interference from outside objects, performance decrease as battery voltage drops, harder to repair, etc. Think of it, a lot of times when something you have that is electronic fails, you throw it away instead of trying to repair it. when a capacitor bursts, ic's fail, or burn off a trace on a PCB, most people won't go it, pull out their Weller Soldering station and fix it. They throw it out and get a new one.

Though techys like me would try to repair it if its remotly possible. Like how my friend gave me her dvd player because it didnt work anymore. Just needed a new spindle motor and it works, for the most part, fine