View Single Post
Old 07-19-11, 11:25 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bobn
The bike is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. They aren't making anymore of them and the market isn't flooded to warrant any competition.
I bought a nice clean Raleigh in original condition, tires and all. No rust and beautiful paint. I paid a lot of money for it (according to prior posters) and I ride that bike every day. I wanted THAT bike and I paid for it. Worth every penny I paid!
I agree with you about the worth being what the buyer is willing to pay, if you want it and plan to keep the bike to ride. I'm not a flipper so buying a bike at an extremely low price to resell doesn't apply in my case, though I do want the best deal I can get. There are two big reasons I'm looking for a bike like this: 1) I love the style of the old English bikes. 2) I am looking for a bike to ride in the Lake Pepin 3-Speed tour.

As it turns out, I'd really like to get my hands on a matched pair of bikes so my wife and I can do rides together, Lake Pepin in particular, so this may not have been the best choice anyway, though it'd fit my wife just fine, who is 5'4".