View Single Post
Old 07-20-11, 08:18 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Stubby
I wonder how many folks are biking in Orlando FL. I'm going to make a guess and say it's very small.
I travel there on business regular and the answer is.... quite a few, actually.

While I don't agree with some of their positions on infrastructure, I admire the fact that they not only practice what they preach in terms of cycling methods, but they devote a lot of their time to sharing those methods for others who want to use them by preparing videos, animations and essays describing what works and why it works. They have also started a course called Cycling Savvy, given several sessions in Orlando, and are now taking it on the Road (they'll be here in DFW in September and I'm considering attending).

The fact of the matter is that there is no single solution that makes cycling accessible for everyone. For some, off-street, dedicated bike trails will be the only way they ride. For others, they are stuck in large cities with no appreciable bike infrastructure, and what is there is frequently flawed. There's nothing wrong with giving people tools to deal with operating safely on the roads as part of traffic.

A friend of mine likens the situation to a tool box. There are different tools to do various jobs. Increasing my skill in navigating traffic is a tool that pays dividends to me. Bike infrastructure benefits me too. Legislation is also a bonus. I'll take it all; they all help improve the quality of my cycling experience.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."