View Single Post
Old 07-20-11, 09:22 AM
tip

Bikes: Novara Randonee, Trek 800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also heard many times that bikers will not be turned away from campsites. Please don't make the mistake I did and believe that rule is set in stone.

I was turned away from New Brighton State Beach in Santa Cruz because it was "at capacity". Looking back, I could have been a bigger ******* and asked for her supervisor or something but said screw it.

My point is, contrary to what you may have heard, it is very possible to be turned away from a campsite, so keep that in mind! Check in and arrive as early as you can, and always have a plan B. It seemed like the large bulk of bikers came in around 4-6. I met other bikers on the road who have been turned away, as well.

That being said,

Pfiefer Big Sur was great, as everyone has said. Couple bums there but can you blame them? Right in a redwood grove.

I bent my rear wheel somewhere up in Big Sur, so I limped it to Cambria where there is a great bike shop. The hostel there is also GREAT!!!! I highly recommend it as a break from state parks, and its only $24 (plus you get a continental breakfast!)

Oceano Dunes County Park has hiker/biker, but its $24 a night. Luckily, if another biker comes in, they LET you split it with them. I was fortunate enough to have 3 other bikers come in and we split it 4 ways, making it $6. Has free showers too. The nearby state parks, 2 of them (can't remember the names) do not have hiker/biker sites and they were very unfriendly to me.

I liked El Capitan State Park (although I've heard the nearby Refugio is better). Great view of the ocean and sunset.

Leo Castillo was kinda gross. There was a loud, drunk, crazy homeless guy there that I guess was starting a fight with a biker girl. I got there later and they told me the ranger had given them a regular campsite for the trouble. Another regular camper who saw the situation offered me a spot on his huge campsite. The actual park ranger officers where eventually called and he was kicked out. Showers cold.

Doheny State Park outside Dana Point. VERY small hiker/biker site, I'm surprised they didn't say it was "at capacity". Right next to bathrooms and highway. Very loud, didn't get any sleep. All but one shower was broken when I was there.

Last edited by tip; 07-20-11 at 09:26 AM.