Old 07-22-11, 10:20 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bottom bracket.

Ok, so finally today i took apart my bb on my pinarello. It was the first time that i did it since i bought it last year, i've been riding it a lot more so i knew it had to be done. Anyways it came off kinda easy, and i just did the typical wipe down clean up and so on, then relube and put it back together. and it runs pretty good now.

anyways i got a few questions

1) what grease do you guys/gals usually use for redoing bottom brackets? i used this finish line beige grease with teflon, it seemed good? first time using it on a bike, i just use other stuff for my flips, but i had to buy something nice for my bike, or i hope it is? what do you guys use?

2) So i was sorta considering for future plans, or maybe now? BB replacement, i know there's the standard sealed UN54 BB from shimano which they do make in 115 lenth and for italian thread. But what would you guys suggest i do? i don't think i'd want that one, maybe something a little higher end for my bike, it's running 105 everything right now with brifters so i want something nice.

3) how long are these cup and cone systems supposed to last for? mine look pretty decent, there's no pitting or dents in the ball bearings and the cups look good, the only thing that scared me is there's two gouges taken out on one end of the axle, they're not deep but you can see them and feel them a bit, when i put it all back together it spun smooth but i noticed a little bump, when i went and put on the crank, you don't really notice it that much, but it's there. anyone on here go a nice replacement NOS axle? I saw that thread a while back about someone finding a box of axles and a box of cups and stuff, can't remember who it was. (the axle uses a screw to tighten the crank on, instead of a nut)

4) how tight is good? i usually tighten the cup on the side with the lockring until there's no play or pretty much no play, but it's usually at the point where i'm feeling less and less play then you get to that point where it's just right, but sometimes when you tighten to that just right point and spin the axle it doesn't feel amazingly smooth, but when i put the crank on you don't really notice it.