Old 07-24-11, 05:57 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You aren't the only one who reads these posts. Geachguy is asking about options and the differences between cranks. If something happens to a crank in the middle of nowhere -not an event that's all that likely to begin with - an external BB crank requires less specialized tools to remedy the problem. It really is a simpler superior crank.

It's not just saving 200 grams of crank weight. How likely do you think it's going to be to find a tool to remove a square taper Shimano bottom bracket and a replacement for that bottom bracket in the Backofbeyond? Like I said above, you could remove and install an external BB with a pair of pliers. If you used a BB with removable cartridge bearings, you'd be likely to find those size bearings since they are a standard generally used bearing size.

The XT equipment...well maybe not this year's hubs...is highly durable. I have XT and XTR equipment that I expect will last for decades because it's not really all that delicate.
Please provide me with the model number and serial number of that XT bottom bracket that you claimed provides decades of service. I already went through 1 XT bottom bracket in less than a decade, more like 8000 miles in a year. I guess I am not so lucky.

If you do not tour a lot and only tour in perfectly timed weather, any bottom bracket will last decades. Having said that, it is up to the original poster to choose whichever system fits him best. We can always provide suggestions. No system is best. If it were, no one will sell square taper anymore.

Guess what? People still sell square taper BB!