Old 07-25-11, 02:12 AM
Spike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice for all-electric trike.

Hello!

I have been itching to get into the e-bike scene for a while now. I think I've found the right bike for the project. As mentioned in the title of this thread, I am hoping to build an all-electric trike. The reason for wanting to go all electric is because I am partially paralyzed and have limited functioning in my legs. I've been riding handcycles for nine years, but they aren't exactly ideal for commuting.

Anyway, I've recently acquired an old "upright" handcycle that I would love to convert over to electric power. I would remove the drivetrain and install some handlebars. My intention would be to use it for short errands (groceries and what-not) and to commute back and forth to work (12-14 miles round trip). Because of the nature of it's design, I don't think I'd have the stones to take it over 25mph or so. 30 would probably be the absolute fastest it would ever see. The longest distance I envision myself going is about 20-25 miles. The terrain I plan to ride is mostly flat (a very easy incline at most).

So, I am now in the process of researching various motors and battery capacities. As noted, I won't be offering any sort of propulsion to the rig, so I will be relying on the system to get me from A to B. Is that a bad idea? From what I gather, e-bike systems are fairly simple and reliable. If I want the trike to cruise at 20+ mph without straining the electrical system, what sort of wattage would I be looking at? For batteries, I assume it would be best to assemble a pack consisting of a number of smaller packs (in case of replacement or the need for additional juice.)

Lastly, are there any threads that cover manufacturers of both batteries and motors? From the reading I've done, it sounds as though not all are created equal. I definitely don't mind spending a little more for reliability.

Any advice that can be offered would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to have a little electric vehicle that I could use for commuting and running errands. I have a 3/4-ton diesel pickup that gets 20+ MPG in town and 26 on the highway, but it's definitely not the most practical vehicle for everyday use. An e-trike would be perfect! Thank you for any advice that you're able to offer. I've included a picture of the type of trike that I'm working with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Quickie-Mach-2-2T.jpg (20.3 KB, 8 views)