Old 07-25-11, 07:18 AM
Brontide
DON'T PANIC!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've thought about car only living...but there are 'practical' obstacles.
1. How do you afford groceries with all this cash sucked out of your wallet? Gas, basic insurance, and routine maintenance is several hundred dollars a month before figuring depreciation and other costs.
2. Schedules. Having to be somewhere at specific times. With a car you never know when you are going to run into traffic and be stuck on the highway and if the car breaks down I could be without it for weeks and have to totally rearrange my schedule. While it seems that it would save some time on average I also don't know when I will find time to exercise if I'm driving everywhere.
3. Parking!!! Going anywhere popular leads to much time wasted looking for a spot to park the car. I could pay for the garage, but that's just another expense.
4. Upfront cost. In order to have the best experience with a car ( fewer problems, warranty, ... ) you have to spent a fortune up front. I could pay off my mortgage with the cost of some of these vehicles are running.

Anyway, I'm sure there are more obstacles, but these were some that had crossed my mind when considering making my car my primary mode of transportation.

( Snark. Heck we are a 1 car household so I understand, but much of these arguments cut both ways ).

Last edited by Brontide; 07-25-11 at 07:35 AM.