Higher Class
soft pedal zen

Bikes: Absolutely

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
I think most people can train fairly easily to be good runners, especially if it is just for a 3 mile run. I have **** knees and running was tough to get used to but I became pretty good at pacing myself for a couple hours. Running just takes a long time to build a base and some say you should do it for almost a year before taking to a competitive level. There's running "right" and running "wrong" and it may take some people that time to really get how to run "right" and not hurt themselves

I wouldn't say running is fun in the same way as cycling but runners high takes you to a different place and any need for any stimulation just disappears.
I definitely appreciate running. I work nights, so sometimes I get home and get the hankering for a good workout but don't have the time for a 20 mile sprint on the bike. 30 minutes in the running shoes and I'm off to bed. I feel like it gives me a more intense cardio workout than a bike as well.

Of course, as with everything I do, I researched running extensively before I started doing it. Got myself a pair of flexible, low-profile, low-support shoes and I run on my forefoot. You can really, really feel it in the calves, the high cadence is good for cardio, and you're not jarring your body off of your heels.

I found that it was nearly impossible to keep a good "pose" at first. Half a mile in and all sense of form went to ****. I'm just now getting to the point where I'm relaxed and the pose/forefoot method comes naturally.