View Single Post
Old 07-28-11, 08:21 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
For those of you playing along with copies of the home game...

I've sort of been out of it the past few days- broken tooth, resulting infection, root canal...

Today I got out of the house, did a little bit of shopping. First to find matching paint- the guy at the hobby store let me bring my bike in to attempt to match the paint- and he gave me a hand with it- giving his opinion. After that I tried finding an ink eraser. The hobby store didn't have one. I went to the craft store next door, they didn't have one. I went to Office Depot. They didn't have one. Who carries ink erasers anymore?

I turned the bike on the stand so the bare metal patches were at a little under eye level. I mixed up a paste of Barkeeper's Friend- applied it to the bare metal- and took a Q-Tip and scrubbed the area that rust appeared to be starting on, and then I let it sit. I started shaking up the paint- probably for 3 or 4 minutes. While I was shaking the paint, I got out my brush, grabbed some paper towels and Q-Tips and went back out to the garage. I wiped up the Barkeeper's Friend paste and then wiped it down with Windex. After that dried, I uncaped the paint and stirred it with a toothpick for a good minute or so and started applying it with a little skinny brush.

I thought the paint would be much thicker- but it was like blue water going on to the bare metal. So the next brush dip, I didn't wipe it off on the edge of the jar- and a big ol' glop of paint went on the bike- and I *hope* I caught it in time with a Q-Tip (we'll see when the sun is shining), and I hope it evened out.

If I were to do this again, I'd practice painting on metal before I did something that was worth something. Just so I knew about the paint. I would also think a little better and know that I should be applying the paint in thin coats. I really shouldn't be in a hurry- riding kind of really hurts my face right now.

As far as the color match...

I used Model Master "Arctic Blue Metallic"

We'll see how it looks when it dries- I'm glad it's on the underside of the chainstays- the match is fine for there. If it were in a more prominent spot... we'll see.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.