Old 07-29-11, 08:05 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Most of us are too big for this sport. Andy Schleck is 6'1" and 150# (soaking wet). Cyclists built like that at 6'4" might weigh 160#. You (and me) are a little over that.
Nobody is too big for the sport, but folks weighing over 180#s need to be more careful about choosing equipment appropriate to their size and weight. Just as a 6'4" rider couldn't ride a 52cm frame, he shouldn't ride equipment made for someone weighing 2/3rds of his weight.

Everyone wants a lighter, faster bike, but if manufacturers have to design all equipment to be suitable for street use by 240# riders, than lighter riders would be riding bikes much heavier than necessary. The problem isn't the hardware, but with the folks who sell bikes and other equipment that's unsuitable to their customers' needs.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.