View Single Post
Old 07-29-11, 01:51 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by undogooder
Hi, I'm a big biker at 275Lbs. and need a strong rim for my commuter. I have a '87 Trek Elance* http://www.vintage-trek.com/TrekBrochure1987.htm * page 14. I have just been reading about double and single wall rims, looked at a few online and I just need a couple of good suggestions. Looking for road rims. I just want the rim, not pre-built wheels. The original hubs are laced to the original 36 spoke Matrix rims.
I suspect you'll need new spokes in addition to the rim. And at that point, you may find it cheaper just to buy a new wheel especially if you're not equipped to build wheels yourself.

I'm a big fan of Velocity's off-center rims for rear wheels. I used the Synergy OC for my touring bike and was surprised by how balanced the tension was between the drive and non-drive spokes. I think that can't help but lead to longer wheel life. Unfortunately, the Synergy is probably too wide for your bike. The only other choice is the Aerohead OC, which is one of the lightest rims on the market. Even with 36 spokes, you might feel some flex...

Maybe I just need a tire bigger than a 700x25c? (looks alittle low while riding at full 90psi)
Why only 90psi? I weigh around 180lbs and I put 100psi in my 700x25 tires. Psimet's Tip of the Day is a good starting point for correct air pressure. Just remember: you don't want to go over the maximum pressure that the tire and rim can handle, no matter what the formulas say...