Old 07-29-11, 05:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by tomecki
The bike is 6 weeks old! The shop (Mountain Equipment Co-op in Vancouver) wouldn't fix it. They said that I'm too big for those wheels. I'm 6'4", 220lb. The bike was marketed to fit people my height and I don't think 220lb for a guy my height is unusual. I personally think that the whole situation is BS. I've been careful with the bike. I avoid potholes, don't take it off road and don't jump curbs. What can I do besides not giving them any more of my money to fix it for me and ranting about it on bikeforums?
So what the bike shop is saying is that the sales rep sold you a bike that they should have known not to just to make a profit and screw you if the bike can't handle your weight? That's exactly what their telling you! They failed to do their job. Either that or their lying to you now and they can handle the warranty problem but don't want to. I would go back to the LBS and asked them why they sold you a bike they knew wouldn't work for you. And if they say you wanted that bike, then you reply that it was their job to consult with you in a professional matter that the bike is not suitable for you and why, and then offer to show you another bike or two that would handle you. They failed to do their job correctly.

I bought a used bike from a guy who bought the bike in 86 and the sales guy told him that the bike fit perfectly. He rode it 5 miles and it was so uncomfortable he put in the attic and never rode it again. I bought this bike about 3 months ago and discovered just looking at him and the bike that the bike was about 1 inch too tall, in other words if he let his crotch rest on the top tube his feet could not reach the ground and that was why he was so uncomfortable. The bike shop only had a couple of sizes left in that model and was trying to get rid of the end of the season models and sold this man a bike that they knew would not fit him and told him that was the way people rode road bikes!

The guy above was dealing with con-artists and so are you.

Last edited by rekmeyata; 07-29-11 at 06:01 PM.