View Single Post
Old 07-31-11, 08:48 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
First, CE, I think you can do it. I judge this mostly on mental attitude. The very fact that you are so worried about the change indicates that you are able to prepare yourself for eventualities and deal with challenges when they arise.
What if the perfect job opens up out of range of me or public transportation?
What if my bike gets stolen?
What if I hurt my (knee/foot/ankle) and cannot ride for 1-6 months.
This is where your backup plans come in. You mentioned puglic transit, but maybe you lack confidence in the transit system due to unfamiliarity. Also, you may not know your way around your new city and its transit system. You might want to consider staying off your bike (and your truck) for a week or two See what it's actually like to use transit only. Explore your new city on buses (or trains, whatever) and gain familiarity with the system. Like riding a bike or driving, transit use is an acquired skill. It takes some practice to get good at it.

Think also about Plan C and Plan D. Consider walking, taxis, car rental, rides from friends, etc. These can all be backups to your backup.

If you have an injury, you might also be unable to drive. I had a serious right knee injury and I couldn't drive or ride for several weeks. Strangely, I could walk short distances because you donn't need to bend your knee much to walk. I used the bus, which has enough legroom to stretch out your leg. My worst injury was a hand injury, and I couldn't drive or ride then either, for a total of 10 months I walked a lot and got a bus pass.

What to ware in the rain and 40F temps.
Even good rain gear is hot and sweaty, so I'd rather ride in 40 degree rain than 90 degree rain.

"Think Outside the Cage"