ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,482 Times in 3,226 Posts
Originally Posted by FatGuyBiking
Getting a bike has been one of the best things I've ever done.
You will get no argument here with this statement of fact. And Welcome to the Forum. It looks like you have gotten some excellent advice so far. Beanz is correct about the Clydesdale/Athena forum. Very supportive and knowledgeable members.

I know the bike I bought is pretty low-level stuff, I've noticed the shifting isn't always super smooth. Or sometimes after bombing a hill I notice my breaks start to make weird noises, but other than that I'm really satisfied.
It's brakes. Breaks are another thing entirely.

But that is just a soapbox of mine. You will find that many members play fast and loose with the language but not for any intended effect. Please forgive me.

Bikes are like boats. You will find you always need a better one. Rarely is your first your last if you enjoy riding. The only problem is if the bike is so poor it robs you of the fun of riding.

know this is like telling a wine enthusiast that I buy the box stuff, but I bought a Schwinn Marimar.

So far it's been alright, but I was wondering what I could benefit from buy purchasing a more expensive serious bike. I understand the frame will probably be lighter, ect... but what are the mechanical differences
This answer depends on your locale and ambitions. But generally the better bits and pieces are smoother and stay in tune a little longer. A frame can be better because it fits you better and as a result you ride more. Then there is, at least for me, the incentive to ride more and harder to "justify" the high quality of the bike.

Best of luck.