Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by FatGuyBiking
Hi I'm new here, I've been reading this board for a while but just started my own profile!

I'm a pretty big guy 6'2, 250 pounds. Getting a bike has been one of the best things I've ever done. I know the bike I bought is pretty low-level stuff, I've noticed the shifting isn't always super smooth. Or sometimes after bombing a hill I notice my breaks start to make weird noises, but other than that I'm really satisfied.

I know this is like telling a wine enthusiast that I buy the box stuff, but I bought a Schwinn Marimar.

So far it's been alright, but I was wondering what I could benefit from buy purchasing a more expensive serious bike. I understand the frame will probably be lighter, ect... but what are the mechanical differences?

FatGuyBiking.com
You're about my size, maybe 10lb heavier..... but we are definitely not big. My wife's two cousins are both over 6' 10" and over 300lb, both work in construction carrying heavy stuff around all the time, neither one is fat, just big. But for all their size and strength they're the kindest, gentlest, most generous people you'll find anywhere.

FWIW my main ride is a Surly LHT. I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, some bought new, some second hand. The LHT is closer to perfect than any of them and unless it's stolen or written off in a crash it'll be the one that will see me out.

Last edited by Cyclaholic; 08-02-11 at 09:46 PM.