View Single Post
Old 08-03-11, 12:05 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Tiny platform, would be super ****ty with anything but the stiffest of race shoes. Pretty lousy with those too.
Float: either lots of float and low release tension or less float with low tension. This is backwards and I don't like float on mountain bike pedals anyway.
Release tension was always far too low. Popped out all the time.
Sloppy bearings/bushings. Wore out waay too fast.
Weak. Broke wings all the time. Always replaced free of charge, but I've NEVER had a Shimano pedal fail and I've been running at least two sets at a time (on different bikes) constantly for the last 14 years so I see no reason to put up with them breaking.
My wife doesn't know **** about bike parts but she knows what she doesn't like. She doesn't like Eggbeaters either.

Shimano's work well, have consistant (and high if you want) release tension, no float, multi-release if you want it, and last and are completely rebuildable. I have a set of the first generation ones on the go right now, and a pair of m747's on my mountain bike. They've been ridden hard since 1996. They're still awesome. There is a Shimano pedal for any use, and often at a variety of price points.

I like SPD's.