Old 08-03-11, 01:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just a warning for you heavy guys---You need good strong wheels.

Within reason- the frame- make-spec of the bike does not matter but the strength of those wheels does. I have a mate that started riding 10 years ago and he weighs in at 240lbs. He still does and he is a big lad. Started on a Basic mountain bike and his weight and strength knocked those wheels out very quick. Got them replaced under warranty to a stronger set and he broke those. I gave him a set of my old lightweight handbuilt wheels and absolutely no problems for about 6 months and then he cracked a rim. So back to the wheel builder for his own new set of wheels. Still going cheap so LX hubs on a strong Mavic rim with 36 quality spokes. They lasted 2 years before going out of true.

I still use handbuilt wheels and they need not be very expensive. But a Good builder will build a wheel that will take clydes---- his reputation depends on it. And wheels do transfer from bike to bike so it is not an expense that you lose when you get rid of your current bike to something better.

Spike Milligan