Old 08-03-11, 04:38 PM
erikh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross America summer 2012 - Planning routes

Hi, I'm a Swedish guy currently planning for a bike trip across the northern states of the US next summer. The plan is to start in (or just outside) New York City as I will be landing at JFK. I aim to follow the bike maps by ACA as much as possible so from NYC I plan to bike to Fort Erie, Ferry over to Michigan (what ever town the ferry arrives at , straight across with ferry again to Wisconsin and then hop on to the northern tier (of ACA maps).

I'm considering following the northern route until it intersects "Louis and Clark" route and follow that one to Astoria/Seattle. From Seattle the plan is to follow the pacific route down to San Diego (I have relatives in Seattle and San Diego).

I have a couple of questions:

1. Any recommendations on where exactly to start the trip around NYC? The bike will obviously be packed in a box and I will need to reassemble and get my stuff organized before setting out. Is there some satellite town which is connected by some suitable road leading to Fort Erie?

2. What kind of ferry is going between Fort Erie and Michigan and how long does it take? Do I need to book in advance or is it just like a big vehicle ferry?

3. Heard a lot about lose dogs and that you need to have pepper spray with you? Is this recommended? Is it legal to have it in all states? Any other animal I should worry about travelling the northern states, bears for instance?

That's all I had to ask for now, doing some research on equipment apart from planning the route atm. Just got a Koga Randonneur (2011) which I will be using with panniers. The plan is to sleep in tent as often as possible.

I'm grateful for any recommendations/suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks!