View Single Post
Old 08-04-11, 10:44 AM
davids0507

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkadam68
  • 1st, try to see obstacles down the road so you can maneuver predictably around them (point them out to those who are following behind), negating any need for suddenly swerving. Don't stare at the rider in front of you. Watch down the road 3-5 riders or more. If you see a bunch of them moving en masse, you know there's something headed your way.
  • 2nd, if you don't see it until the last second, it's okay to swerve ONLY IF you know you have the room to do so AND you won't hit someone else, or upset their balance. This has largely to do with their group riding experience, a subjective measure--especially if you don't know them--to be sure. The dynamics of the group can fill in your assumptions about the abilities of those around you. If it's a beginner's ride, swerving would be a big no-no unless there's nobody around you for 5-10 yards or more. Your violation of their comfort zone could cause them to freak out, lose control & crash. If it's an advanced training ride, those around you should be able to handle it.
  • 3rd, if you are in an advanced group, it should be safe to assume you're advanced as well, so bunny-hop it.
  • 4th, if all else fails, take the weight off your saddle as much as you can and ride through it. I know I wouldn't want to be the one who took out a current/former world or Olympic champion or broke some pro's collarbone the week before a big ride just because I swerved into them.

Yeah, pretty much what he said.

Personally, I worry a lot about taking out the guy behind me, so #2 is rarely an option unless I'm last in the group or the group is small -- although of course it depends on the warning and amount of swerving required...

Also, I'm not good at bunny hopping.

Therefore, I aim for #1, and if that fails, I do #4. Better to risk a flat than to risk taking out the guy behind you. I don't think I've ever gotten a pinch flat with a well-inflated tire, even on some pretty gnarly potholes (I'm 145# fwiw). Also, botts dots and reflectors in the road are *meant* to be ridden or driven over -- so there's really no excuse for swerving wildly to avoid them (of course riding over them is uncomfortable, but it's also safer). I once damaged a rim by turning sharply while riding through a pothole or exposed piece of railway (it was in the middle of a corner), so remember that it's better to go straight through it if you can. Anyhow, I would rather buy ten new wheels than send someone to the hospital once.