Old 08-06-11, 07:27 PM
HoustonB
Βanned.

Bikes: 1976 Dawes Galaxy, 1993 Trek 950 Single Track and Made-to-Measure Reynolds 753 road bike with Campag throughout.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
All accidents have causes. Often they can be identified. At least in American English any vehicular crash can be properly be termed an accident. This accident may, for example, been caused by a negligent truck driver. It could have been caused by stick on the side of the road. It could have been caused by a cyclist sneeze at exactly the wrong time.

ac·ci·dent/ˈaksidənt/Noun

1. An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
2. A crash involving road or other vehicles, typically one that causes serious damage or
You people are so hung up on the definition of the word accident that it is unbelievable. I hardly need a dictionary definition of a word whose constant use I object to.

I am also certain that whether we are using American or British English, that the cultural perception of the useage is near identical - accidental, is more often than not, used to denote lack of intent. Do you disagree with this assertion?

Last edited by HoustonB; 08-06-11 at 08:26 PM.