Old 08-07-11, 08:18 AM
rideorglide

Bikes: Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the things you have gotten a hold on is perseverance —*that is pretty clear.
And with help from your inspiration, I'll get out there and ride today, in spite of the parts that still hurt.

After perseverance, patience and understanding are two more things to learn that go with perseverance. ... and with them, maybe, a different set of expectations about women can come in real useful.

Originally Posted by ForlornEnemy
And about the girl? I don't know where it will lead. I can't be her friend forever I don't think, it hurts too much.
Man, at your age, love is like an alternate universe of intense feelings that takes over your world. Also, at age 25, everything is magnified 10x.

I don;t know anything about your relationship, so I can only speak from past relationships I've had, where it started out as one set of friendship, hope and expectations, and wound up being a simple friendship. it can be friendship, if there's a friendship there, and if you can just back the expectations off. Sure you can. Even if the relationship doesn't eventually work out the way you might hope, it's still may be worth nurturing that friendship.
You are learning about caring, and how it's a two way street.

I saw a movie with her every friday until mid-late May when one Friday I came home after seeing her and just started to cry in my apartment. I was in love.
It's a privilege to be in a position to fall in love, no matter what, but it also can be very bitter sweet sometimes and doesn't always work out. But with patience and being a friend to her, it may be more rewarding in other ways, or ways you didn't expect, in the future.

I have gfs that I was initially attracted too, that were never lovers, but are still good friends.

Other times I regret I lost a good gf, because I did not appreciate the friendship enough at the time, and abandoned it, maybe because I was more interested in other things. Maybe it was just the way it was meant to be; but some of them I miss, and think would have liked to have just remained friends with.

I'd recommend patience and adjusting expectations, and maybe you'll be more content down the road.

Perhaps one person in here is in the situation I was/am in and can be helped.
I am 25 from Texas. I have been out of shape for 5 years, unattractive and can't get the girls.
...She was so interested in me! I just wanted "other" things... you know.
Sounds like you have a friend, who is also a girl. But it's about more than "getting" girls. You can "get" girls and still be left empty in side if all you wanted was to "get".

I am a guy and being in the state of apathy I was in I didnt care anyway.
That's one of those "guy things" we have to move on from, and mature out of. Takes time. But now you seem to kind of know. When you move from apathy and not caring, to caring, you are maybe on the right path.

We saw a movie on valentine's day because she was lonely and I wanted to just be nice to her. I guess I was lonely too. ... she just wanted to be friends. It was very obvious, but she was still so sweet to me and I liked being sweet back.
Again, this sounds good for your soul to have felt that way.

I started to diet and lost about 20 lbs... but by the end of June I couldn't take it anymore. I know I am supposed to lose weight and better myself for MYSELF- but she was the kickstart and I can't say that she wasn't the main reason for it starting.
Either way, you lost a lot of weight which is pretty impressive.

And I rode... I can't say how many days in Texas it has been under 100F in July... but I went out every day and rode 20-30 miles. For anyone in my shape this was very difficult.
Sounds like you have some health and endurance. That's the No. 1 thing. That's something to be thankful for, but please don't dehydrate and screw your kidneys over.

Mine ain't so great, anymore. I can't even imagine riding a single day in temps over 89F.

But I rode. Perseverance was always just one of those "motivational" words to me before, but now it means something else. ...even when faced with impossible challenges.... that is to persevere.
There's your perseverance —*that's another great quality to have to be successful down the road. You might think you don't have much, but perseverance is an important part of the foundation that others lack.

I sat on a bench and it was extremely beautiful there. But that triggered some of the darkest feelings I have ever had. Thinking of her there, knowing I had no real friends, knowing my journey from apathy had just started.... and having to get back on the bike and somehow pedal home was just a terrible combination of thoughts. I questioned if life was actually hell or not.
I'm sure there are a some of us here that wrestle with thoughts that our predicaments sometimes offer little hope. But we keep on living in the day and moving forward as best we can. (If it gets too dark in there call one of the crisis hotlines in your area, and there'll be people who want to help you get through.)

That bike was a medieval torture device, nothing less.
LOL Always feels that way for the first several miles, and in your Texas heat, I have no idea how you do it.

I am 232 now. In the next 2 weeks I will start entering the final phases of this most absurd, insane, incredible journey I could ever imagine.
Why is that?

As I get my life together,
Sounds good, too.

I wonder if there are others out there like me. If there is some guy/girl out there reading this with a bike that they never ride, but are unhappy about themselves.
Been damaged/injured for 9 months. It has been tough getting through 10 months, with no riding as I heal. I have 48 yr old friends who are fit as top Marines, who have had brain and testicle surgeries and get sidelined too. They only wish they could run or ride, or exercise.

I may update here, or not.
I think a lot of folk are rooting for you. So tell us about some rides, and I hope your friendship with the gf stays on track.

Last edited by rideorglide; 08-07-11 at 08:30 AM.