View Single Post
Old 08-07-11, 12:40 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MK313 View Post
I'm not super great with a wrench & wasn't looking forward to replacing the whole headset (or whatever the piece that the stem mounts to is called), so I haven't been riding this particular bike as much as I would like.
It would have likely been more than just the headset if you opted to to upgrade the entire front end. The Delta adapter goes from a 1" threaded to a 1.125" threadless. While you could have gone the route of a taller stem like some of the offerings from Nitto, they do require that you unwrap the bars and remove the brake levers because the stem doesn't have a removeable face plate. You could have swapped headsets to a 1" threadless, but then you need a new fork also.
I've got an adjustable 1" quill stem from Zoom, and it does use a 26mm removeable face clamp, but it suffers the same issue as the tall Nitto stems... When really cranking on the bars, it feels noodly. I think the use of the adapter and a threadless stem, while a less elegant looking solution, is certainly more solid feeling.
Got any pictures?