View Single Post
Old 08-07-11, 09:56 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Suspension is a waste of time and money if you don't ride off-road. It is heavy, it costs money to service, and unless it is locked out it absorbs energy that should be propelling you forward. Bunny hopping curbs is perfectly possible on road bikes without suspension, it just takes an hour or two's practice.

And I'm surprised at your preference for a 10lb backpack. Carrying the weight on your back, rather than on the bike, makes one sweaty and tends to give one a bad back on longer journeys. You might like to give panniers or a rack bag a try.
Well said!!!

Originally Posted by no1mad
Since your LBS is a Giant dealer, do yourself a favor and check out the Express City. Way better suited for the type of miles you plan on doing. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...11/6963/43123/
Looks good. For a long ride I do like the multiple hand positions of drop bars, but short of that I think this is much more of a fit. The bikes in the OP were too upright for that much riding.

Great advice throughout this thread. At least until this vagary, though in theory I agree with that too:

Originally Posted by Road MTB
Get a cyclocross bike. Perfect for what you're describing and versatile bikes in general.