Old 08-08-11, 10:03 PM
load97

Bikes: 1987 GT Performer(Stolen)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
Drivetrain on the Street 1 looks roughly equivalent to the DS 8.4, not quite the equal of the Montare. (SLX rear derailleur.)

Street 1 has the best brakes-- a little better than the Montare, a lot better than the DS 8.4

No contest on the forks. Even though it's only 50mm travel, the Street 1's magura headshok is a lot lighter, more tuneable and easier to lockout (on top of the stem).

The comparison is worse if you're looking cheaper than the DS 8.4. Don't let me steer you towards the Cannondale if you genuinely dislike the bike after riding it. But I definitely *wouldn't* buy one of the Treks if your main reason is liking the bike shop better. I frequent my LBSs a lot, and really like the service at one of them. My family has known the owners for decades. But the brands they carry... I just won't buy.

I've never told them this, but I think they get the idea when I buy parts from them and have them service all my bikes.
The street 1 was very light I thought. Only 2lbs heavier than the FX with no shock & 5lbs lighter than the DS. I've tried looking up components on Shimano's website, and google, but for a noob it's not that easy to compare. I'm not really sure what I need to look for when comparing components such as the derailleur(I know bearings is one thing) etc. Especially when one bike is an 09' model with little info out there. I didn't get anywhere on Cannondales site just trying to do some comparisions. Your saying the Street 1 brakes are better? They are both disc, but the DS 8.4 has hydraulic. Whether I will ever stree the brakes to need hydraulic is another story. They sure felt good though. I'm getting up a bit early so the wife and I can go together to check out the Street 1 again, and take another test drive. I like the $700 price tag of it as well compared to the DS 8.4.
Thanks for the help btw.