View Single Post
Old 08-09-11, 02:38 PM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cycling is actually pretty good. None of us were hit (we're done now and heading home tomorrow morning), and the drivers seemed pretty used to groups of cyclists. We stayed off the main roads about 90% of the time anyway, taking as many tiny back roads as possible.

I ended up with a HORRIBLE head cold that struck me yesterday. Before I realized what was wrong, I was just so exhausted I could hardly function. We were riding into town with a, no kidding, 40 or 50mph headwind for at least 30 miles. At one point, riding along a relatively flat, downhill section, I realized I was pedalling so slowly in my granny gear that the last 7 miles were going to take me at least 2 hours, if not more. I called my colleague, who was giving our Support Van Parent a break and driving the van, just to tell him where I was (I take a lot more stops than the kids, as our official photographer) and to get a Coke. "Do you want me to come get you and drive you the last few miles?" he asked. "No... Yes," I said.

It was the most terrifying seven miles of my life, and he is an excellent driver. Nothing on earth is more terrifying than driving those tiny back roads on the wrong side of the road. We were both white knuckled and panting by the time we arrived in town.