View Single Post
Old 08-09-11, 09:30 PM
tadawdy
Faster than yesterday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know some sprinters only do weight work on that day and make their riding days separate. In any case, I sure wouldn't short myself on the intervals, since that's where the big gains are.
in general, this works. If you're going to lift as productively as possible, I don't believe in doing it tired, just like you wouldn't go into a set of intervals tired and expect to get the most from them.

there is also a temporal addition effect between strength and other work when done very close to one another The aerobic adaptations are not hindered (when you're talking a long-term strength training program, on the order of 5 months or more), and may be enhanced, but strength and muscular power are not optimally developed. some people like complexes involving a set of lifts followed by a sprint or two, which may work for you. It's a way of training general and specific in the same workout, and similar to what carbonfiberboy said he likes to do. I often come out of my lifting sessions feeling like a beast on the bike, and it's fun to sprint while you feel strong.

It also depends on where you are in the season. The closer the season gets, the more specific your training should be.