View Single Post
Old 08-10-11, 01:39 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think a lot of bike violations are the result of lack of knowledge, so a warning may actually be the best outcome.

The fact that violations might cost you upwards of $150 doesn't stop cyclists around here. That tells me that people don't realize that they are violating the law.
I agree when a city/county/state/the Federal government modifies/passes a new law PSAs should be run in all of the local media, TV, Radio Stations, Newspapers and magazines.

And until "everyone" is familiar with the new law/modification issuing a warning is the way to go once a reasonable amount of time has passed start issuing tickets.

I know that this will anger some, but maybe it's high time that infractions on a bike carried over to a person's license to drive a car and their insurance. Maybe that is what it'll take for them to take it seriously. As I've said here in Florida a student who has bad grades and poor attendance can find themselves being delayed in getting their learner's permit.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Bike "advocates" demanding that police harass and ticket cyclists ... with "friends" like these, who needs enemies?
Uh, what's wrong with the police issuing tickets to cyclists who run stop lights/signs, ride against the flow of traffic, and ride without lights, etc.? The "mantra:"

Same Roads
Same Rights
Same Rules

Has to be more than just words being said or printed on a bumper sticker. If we want the same rights to the same roads we HAVE to follow the same rules. Otherwise they are meaningless.

And how is it "harassment" for a cop to pull over a cyclist who is breaking the law? If a cyclist doesn't want to be "harassed" by the police DON'T BREAK THE LAW, it's as simple as that.