Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My two essentials:
A metric hex key (allen wrench) multi tool that goes up to six
A 15mm wrench.

This covers any fit adjustments and removal of the wheels if you need to put it in/on your car.

Since you're just starting fixed, chances are you're going to want to try different ratios. Get a chain whip and lockring tool so you can switch cogs.

If you don't put a cog and lockring on tight enough you will feel slippage on acceleration and when skidding or applying backpressure to the pedals heavily. If that happens follow this:

That concludes most of what I needed in the first month or so of riding. Everyone has different experiences but maybe ours will overlap a little.

Also - you mentioned you wanted lights. Beware of lights that require a button cell battery (most knogs or little lights). They usually take two batteries and replacements are sold in 3 packs for $11. If you don't want to pay the value of your light every time the battery dies get a rechargeable one. I have a Blackburn Flea which cost somewhere under $30 and it's small, usb rechargable, and brighter than my old knog light. Highly recommend if you don't need a full on pitch darkness headlight.

Last edited by EpicSchwinn; 08-11-11 at 08:46 PM.