Old 08-12-11, 10:44 AM
c_mack9

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Just another thing to consider, if you go to an Orthopedist, or Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physician theire education consists of 4 years of undergraduate school, 4 years of medical school, and 4 years of internship/residency.

They will then prescribe physical therapy to be done under their guidance by a PT that has 2 years of undergraduate school and 3 years of PT training.

Conversely, a chiropractor traditionally has only been required to have 2 years of undergrad then 4 years of Chiropractic.

Also consider that no major university in the United States offers a Chiropractic degree. Perhaps there's a reason?
i would trust my body to someone who has studied the human body for 4 years instead of studying medicine for 4 years.
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Chiropractry is based on the theory of "subluxations" (spinal misalignments) for which there is no real evidence.(except x-rays, MRIs, CAT scans, CT scans and really any other form of diagnostic equipment we have today) Cracking your back seems to have theraputic benefits for some, but there no evidence that chiropractors realign anything.(again,except x-rays, MRIs, CAT scans, CT scans and really any other form of diagnostic equipment we have today) In fact, if they were able to change your spinal aligment by twisting your back, that would be very dangerous. In fact neck and upper back adjustments are dangerous and can cause stroke due to damage of the vertebral artery.(an adjustment isnt just "popping" the spine. movement happens with or without the pop.)

BTW, osteopaths (doctors with the DO degree) have the same training as MDs, and do all the same things MDs do. However, the practice of osteopathic manipulation (OMM or OMT), which the vast majority of most practicing DOs do not use, is no more evidence based than chiropractry and much of it seems like complete mysticism to me, although like chiropracty, some patients report theraputic benefits. All DOs are trained in osteopathic manipulation but most of them abandon it early in their careers and basically act like MDs. Most DOs are fine, but I would avoid any DO who claims to be able to cure all your ills with OMM.
im a massage therapist and i work with chiropractors. i agree if you have been to one that only wanted to adjust you a few times to make pain go away they suck. if you find a good chiropractor, they can and will realign your spine and help your entire nervous system and body function at a higher level. chiropractic isnt suppose to be about pain relief (most do pain relief treatments just to make money) it should be about eliminating subluxation and restoring nerveflow. im lucky enough to work with good docs in a maximized living office, yall should research and find one and go there. i have seen a ton of before and after xrays with enormous amounts of improvement in my 5 years of working there. true, not everyone will have a perfect spine when they are done but almost 100% have visibly improved xrays.