Old 08-12-11, 12:10 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I do it.

1st thing: flip the wheel do to SS and not FG.

1st day with the group, I borrow a geared bike to see what the pace is really like, and if I can do it SS. I’ve been on” B” rides that average 18mph, and others that average 25mph. Every group is different.

Realistically I can personally do an 18 or a 20mph ride all day SS. Rolling hills aren’t too bad, although I would rather go faster up them then the guys who have gears (i.e. everyone else). Downhill, if I draft good, keeping up is no problem with coasting, and occasional bursts of speed (180rpm is my max).

Many groups have an A ride, B ride and even C ride. A SS bike will be able to keep up if you drop down a notch in group level.

Some of the rides I have done (geared this time) cruise at 25mph, sprint into the mid thirties and peak out close to 40 on rolling hills. This is basically a race pace, and something I could do SS only if the sprint sections had a point where they slowed down and wait for stragglers. With this pace, I use gearing like 42x15, 42 x 14, or 48 x 16. (76-81 gear inches).

Really, you are going to have to ride with people below your ability if you are on a SS bike, unless the group has no sprints and rides on a flat course.

Learning to ride in a pack is a whole different subject. Start out with an easy group, and work your way up.

Best advice – take a trip to the nearest velodrome. That is way more fun fixed than a club road ride, and they will typically teach you everything you need to know.

P.S. oh yes, some roadies are incredibly snobby when it comes to what bike you ride
P.P.S – yes riding fixed is easier to ride in a pace line, but the nature of the ride is going to determine whether this is possible or not. Do your first ride SS, and then decide.

Last edited by chas58; 08-12-11 at 12:38 PM.