Old 08-12-11, 12:19 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Are those the only two frames you are willing to consider as there are other options?
Actually, at this point, I'm willing to consider other frames. I've read some comments on the Nashbar cyclocross frame that were kind of a turn-off.

Originally Posted by ks1g
You may find a 50cm cross bike frame to be too small. I have a 50cm Bianchi Castro Valley (same geometry I think as their Volpe). I am 5'6" on a good day with a relatively short inseam - probably about 3" less than yours. The 50cm fits me fine, note I've never used tires bigger than 35mm studded on it. Or at least you will have plenty of seat post showing - useful for mounting large saddlebags. A longer stem can help some with handlebar reach, but it'll still be a compromise. I'd keep looking for a frame that is the correct size, unless you need to build that bike NOW.

45mm tires are pretty big - do you really need something that wide?
Well, let's say I tried the 45mm tires as an experiment and now believe they're just too big. I think somewhere around 37, 38 or 40mm may be in my comfortable zone. I know 35mm is a tad small when going over railroad tracks or the many potholes around here.