Gorsar
Why Be Normal?

Bikes: 2005 Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all,

This I'm sure has been asked but as fast as technology and opinions change I figured I'd ask for a fresh perspective..

I currently have the bottom of the line Tektro V-brakes and integrated shifter/brake levers. I recently bought standalone shifters and since I need to buy standalone levers anyway figured I may as well improve my braking performance/lever response while I'm at it.

I think I'm going to hit the "buy" button on the Avid SD7 brakes and Speed Dial 7 levers from Pricepoint. Combo price is $69.98 . So first of all does anyone feel that's a bad deal or that there's a better (comparably priced) alternative for rim brakes?

My main question is about the cables. I figure since I'm replacing the brakes I may as well do the cables as well since most people say that free moving cables have as much to do with solid performance as the equipment they're connected to. I'm a little torn. I don't want to spend more than necessary but I want to get cables that will not stretch horribly and maintain a free full range of motion. My current choices are:

Avid Flak Jacket Cables for $20

or

Shimano XTR for $15.

Are the flak jackets worth the extra $5, or does anyone have a better/cheaper suggestion?

Any input is appreciated. I count on you guys (generally thru others questions) to set me straight and keep me from making mistakes with $$. Let me know what you think about these products or any valid alternatives you may have.

Last edited by Gorsar; 06-28-05 at 07:36 PM.