Old 08-13-11, 11:23 AM
Abe Froman
Sausage King

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Langster, Kilo WT, 1986 Dahon Classic Folder, 1986 Panasonic Mountain Cat

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Encountered Environmental Hippie Types today

Went for a morning ride today with a friend at a local park that has designated multiple use single track as well as dedicated hiker and horse trails. It rained yesterday So the trails were wet, but not muddy. Occasionally there were low spots that were mud, and our bikes picked up some mud as a result. I didn't think anything of it until...

We came around a corner and I could see a truck parked in the distance with some people standing outside of it. At first it looked like some off roading mis adventure going on. They saw us coming and a lady came walking down to the trail towards us, flagging us down. We stopped, I figured she was going to ask us for help or something.

It became obvious really quick that this chick was a crazy hippy type. She had on some white linen pants , a t-shirt with bare feet and had a crazy look in her eye. She started talking to me, but instead of talking she was kind of like singing...

"Look at your tires!". "poor mother earth". "Why are you out here?". "Look at your tires!". "the trail is muddy!" "poor mother earth!" Just stuff like that over and over and she was, like I said, singing.

The trail WAS wet, but we weren't making ruts or visibly damaging it by riding.

I said to her:"look at your truck. How did YOU get here?"

She sang back to me about how they had driven on the crushed limestone MUP near there and drove down into this clearing so they could clear the trail of a couple fallen trees from a storm the week before. She also informed me, via song that they had a permit, and that WE were riding on a trail marked for hikers only, no bikes. Then it was more "poor mother earth! Look at your tires!", etc.

Anyway I was getting really creeped out. The two guys she was with were just going about their business and putting on packs and getting chainsaws out of the truck.

She was now blocking the single track and as I tried to go around her to GTFO and continue where I was going, she put her hands on my handlebars! She told me "NO!" and to go through the clearing to the MUP.

After another brief verbal exchange, I wasnt interested in getting stabbed, I just said "whatever" and we rode to the MUP. Then got back on the trail a little further down.

Anyway, this crazy hippy chick really got into my kitchen. The whole thing really ****ed with my head and basically ruined the rest of my ride.

I live in the midwest, I didn't think people like this lived in my area! Anyone else have similar run ins with people like this? It's still really bothering me for some reason.

Last edited by Abe Froman; 08-13-11 at 11:34 AM.