Old 08-15-11, 08:19 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
Lower gearing for 80s Benotto with Campy?

First of all, I apologize profusely for the lack of pics.

A customer has an 80s Benotto; he purchased it new, it fits him well, he loves the vintage appeal and the fact that it's all Campy. He refers to the componentry as 'Camponelli Victoria,' which I take to mean Campagnolo Victory.

While he loves the bike, he is asking for an overall lower gearing range. Right now he has the original equipment — 52/42 chainrings (teeth are in great shape), Campy front and rear derailleurs, and the freewheel has been changed to a 4-notch Suntour, which has a 24 tooth big ring. I think he'd like to keep the changes as simple as possible, as in not going with a new group/wheels/etc.

Seems to me we could either go with a wider range freewheel and some type of longer cage derailleur. OR possibly go with smaller chainrings. When I attempted to measure it with my TA chainring chart, it looked to be 110 BCD. But when I read about it online, I see lots of references to 116 BCD and difficulty getting replacements, left handed crank remover threads, etc.

Wondering what thoughts/suggestions you have for lower gearing on this bike? Not really looking for a new group, etc., unless that's the only option.

I'm going to link a great photo taken by Cudak888, in order to give you a visual reference. I certainly hope he doesn't mind. If I can upload my own crappy cell pic, I will update the thread.

http://www.jaysmarine.com/campagnolo_TRI_VIC_2.jpg

Thanks!