Old 08-17-11, 06:47 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rsacilotto
My issues are that

a) city driving is relatively dangerous for anyone, I'm 51 and have not noticed the diminished capabilities (except cardio) that the doctor is claiming. I recently avoided a couple of collisions by reacting quickly, I had no sense that I would have done any better when I was 30. Would he prefer that bicyclists avoid the city altogether (see comment above regarding cyclist inconveniencing his driving)?

b) unless the route is completely rural, there's a decent likelihood of encountering "city-like" situations with tight roads, parked cars and aggressive drivers turning unpredictably. Should we avoid those, too?

c) who only rides two miles? I commute 32 miles round trip a couple of times a week, not really a walking option. I notice a huge difference in my physical condition when I'm riding regularly vs. other activities. I can still ride pretty hard for reasonable distances, not as fast as when I was younger, but I can just about keep up with a 20mph pace in a group for an hour, and the main obstacle is weight (230lb), not age. It just seems insulting for a doctor to suggest that once you hit 50, you should suddenly be so concerned about your physical and mental skills falling off a cliff that you should "think twice before getting on a bicycle." Thanks, but no thanks!
It's obvious the doctor doesn't know anything about cycling, but he does know what he is seeing in his hospital and there is no denying that he is seeing more older people with cycling injuries.

There is a reason there are no Formula 1 drivers or fighter pilots at 50, because the skills and reflexes simply diminish with time. We may not notice it because of the slow nature of aging, and there might be an exception or two out there, but reflexes do diminish, as does sight, hearing and all the rest of the senses....