View Single Post
Old 08-17-11, 07:20 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Pacific Coast Questions

Do many of the campsites on the coast have honor boxes that you need to have the right change for and if so do they accept checks? I am wondering if I need to bother with taking checks. I know that a few places on the TA it was good to have some checks, but I have not needed them elsewhere. I never use checks at home so it might be a chore figuring out where I put them

I am not sure how sandy and/or unsheltered the sites will be on the coast (I'll be staying in hiker/biker sites in state parks where possible). Will I be able to get by with MSR Needle stakes for my Eureka Spitfire 1 or will there be an issue with them holding in sand? If necessary I'd probably just take 2 different stakes for the ends, unless that is a really bad idea. The MSR Groundhogs are longer wider and have more faces. Would they be adequate or do I need something wider yet like maybe the MSR Blizzard? I have been able to get by with the needle stakes in a wide range of places, but I have only ridden a bit on the coast and stayed in a yurt the one night there.