Old 08-17-11, 04:00 PM
motobecane69
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaHaMac
Marmot, thanks for the current review of the Sojourn. Unfortunately, shipping costs from Ottawa, Canada to Middle Georgia would eat up that 50% off price :O

motobecane69... I am glad that I posted this thread about the Sojourn because the more I hear from fellow Clydes the more I realize that I may not be a "touring" cyclist. It sounds like the Sojourn is a dedicated touring bike for someone who is going to load up and trek for days at a time. While I like the idea of doing that, the wife doesn't and will not ever ride for 8 hours a day and then camp in a pup tent. So, I believe that the best description of bike for which I am looking is a Commuter bike.

I want a bike that will handle decent width tires--not sure if 25 is wide enough--, a bike that has or I can add fenders, and a bike where I can mount at least 2 water bottles and a rear rack with panniers but I don't think I'll ever need front racks. I would also like to be able to do century rides on the bike, commute back and forth to work, trek through country roads, and one day when the engine is well tuned get into the ~20mph avg speed bracket.

Currently on the '11 Voyageur 7 I am averaging 13.5mph and about the same on the '83 World Tourist even though it has a fatter gear. My ride on the '83 Tourist worried me yesterday because I felt like I was pushing the bike on the whole 10 mile ride. I did 14 miles tonight on the '11 Voyageur 7 and felt like I was flying except for the hill climbs. However, I was able to stand and climb some of the hills tonight and when I couldn't finish the hill standing I could quickly get to the 40x34 gear and spin the rest of the way.

I am really curious to know how well the C'dale Synapse 105 will fit into my criteria. The Raleigh Clubman isn't far behind but I am a little worried that I might get that pushing feeling on it that I have with the '83 World Tourist. I gotta plan a trip to the LBS and bug'em.

PS-- I drive the family crazy with my decision making process but when I plan on shelling out $1000+ for a hobby I want the maximum bang for the buck.
great information. you need a bike like mine with the exception of maybe drop bars on it. this is the nashbar touring frame, with their carbon fiber cyclocross fork. It's riding on 35c tires but it can take 40C's easy. Question for you, Are you dead set on Steel? this frame is aluminum but honestly with the carbon fork and larger tires it rides like beauty. nice soft smooth ride like cadillac. I think people who obsess over steel are people who are putting it on a true road bike and planning on running it with 23 or 25c tires or true touring aficienados who want the perceived greater durability of a steel frame bike for loading it up with additional weight. But honestly, an aluminum frame on 32c tires with a proper saddle and carbon fork is gonna ride quite nice.

because i built this up piecemeal it cost me close to $1000. some say it was foolish but it was built for my specific commuting and foulweather needs. my recommendation to you would be to consider either a bike from bikesdirect.com or a one of nashbar's road bikes. Nashbar doesn't sell a full version of their touring bike, only the frame, however, the frame is only $75-100 dollars so you could buy their entry level road bike or a bikes direct road bike and then spend an extra $100 for the nashbar frame and then swap all the parts over. That is a pretty good cost effective option and the touring frame would give you a comfortable geometry that you could easily do century's on and not have any heel strike issues with panniers that you may encounter if you simply mount a rack on a regular road bike.

ps. yes I know the rack isn't level. I didn't install it, haven't gotten around to fixing it!