Old 08-19-11, 08:52 AM
duceditor
Oldie but Newbie

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think there are two groups of drivers who are likely to be, if not "anti bicyclist" at least critical of the way some of us ride.

The first is the highly competent. A skilled driver (and this is equally true for a skilled bicyclist!) is driving/riding way ahead of his or her contact patch. Predicting when each vehicle he/she sees is going to be at any given place. Doing that makes for a smooth drive/ride with few unexpected surprises.

To such a driver/rider the flighty way some less skilled or thoughtful bicyclist rides is a problem. One minute they are going with the flow of traffic, another impeding it. On minute they are owning their space, the next violating someone else's

Now if the skilled driver is put off by that -- and they are as it makes their experienced judgment of traffic flow almost useless -- imaging how an unskilled/frightened driver feels. (No, not "thinks")

That is what the female columnist is demonstrating to me both from her own opinions and prejudices, but also from the people she chooses to interview.

As a bicyclist I condemn irresponsible drivers who put bicyclists at risk. But I also have a duty to condemn irresponsible bicyclists. Sometimes I think we bicyclists tend to be tribal and to simply side with our own. If so we, IMO, are impeding progress towards a bike friendly road environment.

-don