View Single Post
Old 08-21-11, 10:21 PM
UADave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old farts and drop bars...

I'm not that old. Maybe I look ancient, but I think early 50's is just hitting my stride. I'be gone in several BS's over the past couple of years to look over the inventory. I've had a couple of mountain bikes that I actually took in the woods, you know, off the road. For whatever reason, lately when I tell the folks I'm interested in a road bike they steer me toward the cruisers or the hybrids with shocks. I tell them that's not what I want and one kid actually said that people my age don't do well with drop bars. Maybe not, but I keep reading how the various hand positions available with drop bars are better for some folks than flat bars.

I'm just curious if anybody else has had an LBS employee look shocked when someone older than 40 expressed interest in a road bike with drop bars. The last time I bought a bike I got a good deal on a Rockhopper and now I'd like to try asphalt. I'm leaning toward just calling bikes direct and investing 3 or 4 hundred on a cheapo road bike just to see how I like it. I know enough about bikes from years ago when I had road bikes to put one together and tune it well enough. I don't remember them being uncomfortable.

Pardon the venting. I really don't think I look that old. The guys around here are making me feel like I should be shopping for a casket instead of a bike.