Old 08-22-11, 04:23 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was in college, some of my friends and I were on a trail that we knew we weren't allowed to be on. Went fine for a few miles, and then out of nowhere, we start hearing gunshots. We figure there's a hunter who's also on the land illegally. Wrong. This guy comes down the trail on a quad, firing a gun in the air and screaming at us to "Get the f*** off his land or he'll blast our f***ing heads off!" Needless to say, we got out of there as fast as we could. We had some good stories afterward, but never went back to that particular trail (though I won't pretend it didn't keep us off other trails we weren't allowed to be on).

Has pretty much everyone been on land they're not supposed to be on? Yes. Did the guy my friends and I met and the woman the OP encountered overreact? Yes. But you know who was in the wrong here? The people who were on the trail illegally in the first place: me, my friends, and the OP. The right thing to do here is to apologize and leave. You were wrong by being on a trail you weren't supposed to be on, so apologize and then get out of there. Anything else is just making mountain bikers look bad.

I'd also venture a guess that the description of the hippie is exaggerated a bit, because we all tend to make people who piss us off look dumber and weirder than they really are for the sake of the story. And if it's not exaggerated, she wouldn't be the first person to be doing trail maintenance while stoned.