Old 08-22-11, 08:59 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Triode
To avoid collision with a biker not watching where he was going ( three abreast taking the whole path) I had to go off the paved MUP and hit the grass - and do a little dabbing of the foot down to keep my self upright when I went back onto the pavement.

Did 44 miles today - in the last mile, saw three abreast coming at me - not that uncommon, the guy on my side appeared to be moving in then wandered back directly into my path - I shouted " on your left" - he looked up - swerved left, then back right - thankfully - but we were so close, when he swerved to a head-on with me, I took more right and couldn't avoid the grass.

I've been biking about six weeks - four hundred plus miles, the only other really close call some kid in full roadie kit talking up two girls beside him - barely made it back in to avoid a collision with me, I'm shouting "on your left" "give me room"

So far, I only ride this paved path.

I have been thinking about a bell, but these two idiots wouldn't have heard it.

Air horn seems extreme - but I would rather do that than have a collision with some idiot.

Obviously, have to watch more than two like a hawk, but is there anything between air horn and bell?
The thing to do is be smarter than the other riders. Pay attention well in advance of approaching them, and signal from afar.
Waiting until you are upon them is suicide - you never know what people are going to do. I use a bell and I start ringing it well away.
There is no sound like a bicycle bell to alert others to a bicycle. Immediately when they hear it, they know what to look for. Air horns and merely shouting, well, that stuff is directionless noise to most people. But a bike bell says "BIKE!" and they know what to expect.

The next thing to do is get the hell away from people, for the most part. Once you get serious as you have, they will mess you up. Riding on paths and other greenways requires you to chill out and take it easy. Many of the people using them are "relaxing" and in their own little world, too often. Guys like you, the ones on a mission, end up being a Fred or worse, a potential danger to the rest of the casual, oblivious slow-pokes. Just wait til you run afoul of an ill-mannered dog on its leash.
Seriously, you haven't had any fun till that happens.

You must get away from the paths as soon as is practical. Use them when you must, of course. But take it slow when on them. I'd start planning other routes that will both challenge you AND get you away from all the hindrance.

Last edited by dahut; 08-22-11 at 09:07 PM.