dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not bike-friendly part of town

I moved from out in the 'burbs to the city center to live the car-free lifestyle, even if I haven't sold my truck yet.

I don't miss the passes on the right. I don't miss the angry shouts and blaring horns. I do miss the mileage. My commute went from a 33 mile round-trip to about 7.5 miles.

So, I had a job interview on the east end of town yesterday. It's not a bike friendly area, but through creative routing I found a way to avoid the worst streets and will make for a 25 mile round trip. So far, so good.

After the interview I rode about 3 miles to a friends house in the vicinity. The carefully-planned route wouldn't work. I had to ride on a crappy multi-lane divided road with 45mph speed limits (Hurstbourne Lane for the locals). I took the right lane and dealt with it.

I was passed on the right by a gravel truck moving at high speed on the shoulder. He was followed by a pickup truck. Then another truck passed me safely in the next lane over, but honked and gestured at me.

This all happened in less than three miles. There wasn't an alternative route that didn't triple the mileage. I guess I won't be going that way.

Luckily, if I get the job, I do have an easy route for the commute. It doesn't involve travelling on Hurstbournce Lane or Shelbyville Rd, the two worst in the vicinity. My lunch choices will be rather limited, unless I bring my own.