Old 08-24-11, 01:36 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I only commute once a week so far, if it doesn't thunder tomorrow morning I'll be making my first 2-commute week however.

Before I started cycling I would typically wake up at 9am and roll into work around 10.

After I took up cycling I got more fit and found I could sleep better, so I started waking up around 7am and roll into work around 8.

For bicycle commuting, I decided to allow myself 2.5 hours of time, and plan to get to work around 9am, so I wake up at 5:30, get going by 6:30, and usually get into work right around 8am or slightly before. I do end up going to sleep earlier the night before to prepare my body for the commute. My very first day commuting I woke up at 5:30, got home at 8:00, and went right to sleep after getting home because I was so worn out. Luckily I seem to have acclimated to the commute since then and have a lot more "waking" hours during the evening.

As for eating, my morning diet pre-commuting consisted of 30g of cheerios, 2 slices of ham, and 8oz of orange juice. On days that I commute I get 40g of cheerios, 3 slices of ham, and 16oz of orange juice. Seems to be enough to keep me energized; along with 24oz of gatorade consumed during the ride. However on my latest commute I forgot the gatorade and seemed fine, so I may cut down on that to cut some calories from my day.

Additionally, during the day I eat 2 granola bars about an hour before I leave, to make sure I've got enough carbs ready for the commute.