Old 08-25-11, 08:30 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Apus^2
Unfortunately whatever you have done with running/swimming won't likely give you any gains in cycling--you'll be fitter overall, but not necessarily faster in the cycling discipline
I can't think of anything less true than this. An aerobically fit you will always be faster overall on the bike than an unfit you. Pizza Man was a perfect case in point...elite level runner, jumped on the bike and nearly won the overall at a local hill climb. He improved with specific bike training but he was damn fast without it.

Rotti, you have a very nice bunch of numbers that don't indicate much. Because of the variability of HR and the issues with cooling and workload on a trainer, I'd strongly suggest doing any FTP type HR test (or power test for that matter) outdoors, preferably on a long, steady climb or on a long steady flat into a headwind. As suggested, I'd look at a 20 minute test then run the numbers off that. For HR, I'd want to see at least two tests whose results were very close; internal and external factors can move HR quite a bit.

And if you're using this as a training baseline always use PE in conjunction with HR for the reasons above. HR tells you where you WERE, not where you ARE in effort.