View Single Post
Old 08-25-11, 12:54 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclepup
This is exactly my interpretation of the two terms. I don't see how it could get any simpler.
But it surely can get more complicated:

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
I am interested to see how this develops as well. So I take it by the above definition a teen age driver that drives their parents to school is in effect car free? If two people are living together and one owns a car but the other one drives the car whenever they want only the non owner is car free? Or is it a bit more complicated than that? Just as an example, let us say I had a company supplied car, they paid for my gas, they covered the insurance and they did it for many years. Then the government decided that was a taxable benefit so they took away my car unless I was at work. However I could get mileage for driving to and from work. Was I car free when the company provided the car 24/7? What status changed when I drove my own car?
From what I have gathered while posting here is car free is a state of mind and like a recovering alcoholic it is one day at a time. From that perspective I am car free maybe three or four days a week. I consider it being car light however and not car free because I have access to a car. ( my state of mind)