Old 08-26-11, 10:36 AM
NYgreyrider

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billdsd
I could be struck by lightning, therefore I should never leave my house again.

Seriously, that's effectively what you're saying. People are giving up their basic freedoms and enjoyment of life over things that are extremely unlikely to happen. We've become a nation of cowards, ruled by irrational fear.

The police in this case are idiots. I want to know what specific law they're going to claim is being broken.
Wow, that is what you took from that. Amazing. Let me try and simplify. What I'm saying is that things can happen and you need to base your decision on the likely hood of the event. Just because family abductions happen more than stranger abduction doesn't mean stranger abduction don't occur. Just because stranger abduction occur doesn't mean you stop living your life. I simply said you look at everything that could happen, determine what the likely hood that it might happen is, take any steps you feel necessary to avoid them and move out. The point being is just because something is rare doesn't mean you dismiss it completely from your decision making process nor do you give it more weight than it justifies. In this case I simply said the police were offering her some additional information, from their perspective, to base her decision on. At no time in any post did I say she should not let her child ride to school. Stuff happens. Am I never going to step outside because I might get struck by lighting. No. Am I going to step outside in a thunderstorm and hold a metal pole in the air. No. Why because its an unnecessary risk I can avoid. All I'm talking about is risk vs reward. Pretty simple concept to understand and most people base their decisions on it whether they realize it or not.

Cycling is a perfect example. Most people who cycle on roads know there is at least some possibility they could get hit by a car when they are out ridding. Yet we all still do it. However to lessen some of the risk many of us will wear a helmet or bright colors to protect ourselves and obey the rules of the road.

So in this case the OP can take your interpretation of my post and put her child in a bubble. Or she can simply weigh the rare chances of something happening to her child on her commute with all the other positive and negative factors that go along with letting her daughter ride to school and continue doing what she is doing or adjust this routine according to her perception of the risks involved.