Old 08-26-11, 01:29 PM
Gotte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in two minds personally. I can see the benefit of discs - they save the rim and are much more effective, but I've never had a rim wear out and have found V-brakes to be effective enough. If anything, the only time I've found disks to be effective were on my long bike with two kids and a load of stuff. the whole lot, bike included, must have been close on 100 lbs, and stopping short needed the clamp of a good disk brake. But on a normal bike, even a fully loaded tourer, V's have been enough, and I like the simplicity of old syle cantis or V brakes. I know what I'm doing. On my long bike, I had a squeak on my disk brakes and took ages to adjust it out, and that was cable disc. Hydrolics look a real pain.
Personally, I can't see the point, esp if you're out in the kuds. You need something you can fix with ease. A broken cable can be fixed - I never cut gear or brake cables, but coil them up, so should a rear brake or gear cable go, I can uncoil the front one and swap it out for the back putting the old back one, cut down on the front. But I'm 47 and that's how we did it back then.

Last edited by Gotte; 08-26-11 at 01:35 PM.