radshark
Psycholist

Bikes: Devinci Amsterdam, Litespeed Teramo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
You should wear a helmet just in case you fall on that slippery slope.
I like slippery slopes. What the heck do you think Canadians play hockey on. Ironically many of us play pick-up with no helmets at the local outdoor rinks... no laws against that.

Seriously: If there is so much questioning around helmets (which there obviously is), is it really a good idea to make penalties for not wearing them?
There isn't so much questioning. Yes there is a court case but this issue is not even close to being on the cycling community's radar in Canada. I'd say we are more worried about cycling infrastructure and a legal system that dismisses cagers killing multiple people on rural stretches of road. Maybe when we win some of those battles and get to a safer state of affairs we'll turn our attention to helmets and how they cramp our style and ruin our hair-dos.

I think you're drawing a false comparison.
Not really. If those paying for health care (general population) think helmets should be worn then its not. Scientific/statistically proof doesn't enter the equation. Law makers can and will pass laws, rules and form public policy based on public perception without conclusive scientific studies. Want proof? We already have bike helmet laws

Besides - if you push hard enough for scientific proof law makers might up the ante and insist on DOT approved helmets. Just imagine your hair-do after cycling an hour in a sweaty 10lb motorcycle helmet. It would probably look like Squiggy's:

While this could be an improvement for some, I think most would rather focus on infrastructure and enforcement issues than rock the boat about helmets.